Vygostrovskaya HPP is celebrating its 55th anniversary

13.12.2016

On December 13, Vygostrovskaya HPP of the Karelskiy Branch of TGC-1 is celebrating its anniversary.

Construction of Vygostrovskaya HPP was started in 1959 and was completed within tight timeline: two years and eight months. Its commissioning was of a critical economic importance for the Republic of Karelia: being a part of the Vyg HPPs Cascade, the power plant supplies electricity to a number of the key industrial enterprises of the region, including Nadvoitsky aluminium smelter, Segezha Pulp and Paper Mill, White Sea-Baltic Canal.

Vygostrovskaya HPP is equipped with two hydraulic units with a total installed capacity of 40 MW. Its average yearly output is 205 million kWh.

To improve HPP's reliability and operational efficiency TGC-1 performs scheduled systematic upgrading of production process and renovation of the core and auxiliary equipment. In 2015–2016, major repairs of hydroelectric unit No. 1 were performed, excitation systems of both hydroelectric generators were replaced to the modern ones. HPP's lighting was changed to LED-based lighting, which significantly reduced electricity consumption for the own needs.

Reference

TGC-1 is the leading producer and supplier of electricity and heat in the Northwest of Russia. The Company comprises the electric power plants within four entities of the Russian Federation: St. Petersburg, the Republic of Karelia, the Leningrad Region and the Murmansk Region.